Thursday, 17 January, 2019

4-year-old Sarasota girl nearly dies from 'delayed drowning'

Elianna was hospitalized last Wednesday just four days after she played in her grandparent's pool with a'pool noodle, according to her mother Lacey Grace Mom Shares Urgent Warning After Pool Noodle Game Lands Her Daughter in the Hospital
Gustavo Carr | 25 April, 2018, 12:21

Lacey added, "She just happened to put her mouth on the noodle when someone else was picking it up to spray her and didn't realize she was on the other end and pretty forcefully put the water down her mouth". Here's how Grace explained what happened next in a Facebook post published late last week: "By 100% freak accident, Elianna put her mouth to blow out at the same time someone blew in the other end, causing the water to shoot directly down her throat".

Video after the incident shows Elianna was quickly back to normal. It wasn't until Monday - two days later - that she started to get sick. Elianna was running a fever four days later, and this situation converts into scary. Elianna Grace now has aspiration pneumonia, her mother said, and is now relying on an oxygen machine to breathe.

A 4-year-old girl named Elianna, almost died after a freak accident at her grandparents' home in Sarasota, Florida.

Key equity indices provisionally end in green
Japan's Nikkei also eased 0.3 per cent as tech stocks continued to struggle with a warning on waning demand for mobile phones. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan fell 0.4 per cent, with South Korea off 0.3 per cent.

When it didn't go away by Wednesday the family took her to urgent care. That decision may have saved her daughter's life. She got a severe lung infection from swallowing a significant amount of pool water and then sent to the emergency room. While the family had the doctor look at Elianna, within five minutes her skin turned purple, her heart rate accelerated, and her oxygen levels began to drop.

Hospital tests revealed the pool chemicals had caused inflammation and an infection in her body. The following day her school contacted her parents to alert them the fever had returned. The toddler appeared to be slowly suffering from "dry drowning" or "secondary drowning", the mother said. In "dry drowning", a person's larynx closes up in an attempt to prevent water from entering the respiratory system. The buildup of fluid-called an edema-can make it hard to breathe. In "secondary drownings", water has already entered the lungs. However, according to WebMD, "dry drowning" generally describes when water does not reach the lungs but causes the vocal cords to spasm, making it hard to breathe immediately afterward the incident. Dry drowning can cause injuries to the brain, or even death occurred if it's not checked within hours. Symptoms include coughing, rapid shallow breathing, nostril flaring, sleepiness, vomiting, nausea and change in behavior. Elianna, who is now hospitalized, was diagnosed with aspirational pneumonia, which means that the water she inhaled contained bacteria that caused an infection in her lungs.

A GoFundMe has been set-up by the Grace family in order to raise money for Elianna's medical treatment.