Wednesday, 16 January, 2019

No attack on tourists in Kashmir during stone pelting, says police

SPO wounded in militant attack in south Kashmir Violence erupts in Kashmir after security forces kill militants, say police
Deanna Wagner | 04 April, 2018, 01:38

The call for shutdown has been given by the Joint Resistance Leadership comprising Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik.

Three separate encounters took place in the valley - one in Anantnag during the night and two on Sunday morning in Dragad and Kachdoora villages. Flash mobs rushing to encounter sites, pelting stones to distract security forces, trying to give trapped terrorists a safe passage and in the process falling prey to bullets and pellets have become tragically commonplace.

The authorities have also put nearly all resistance leaders, including Gilani, Mirwaiz, Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai and Yasin Malik, under house arrest or in custody to stop them from visiting the families of the martyrs and expressing solidarity with them.

Heavy contingents of police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been deployed in the restricted areas in Srinagar.

Yasmani Grandal to bat fourth for Dodgers on Sunday
After losing the first two games 1-0, the Dodgers turned the tables with two shutouts of their own and scored a combined 14 runs. The San Francisco Giants are off on Monday but will have their home opener on Tuesday against the Seattle Mariners.

Normal life remained crippled for the second successive day on Tuesday as shops and business establishments were closed and traffic was off the roads due to a strike called by separatists and restrictions imposed by authorities in Kashmir valley.

The Kashmir University has also postponed all exams scheduled for today.

Mobile internet services have remained suspended since Sunday in south Kashmir areas while the speed of fixed line broadband connections has also been brought down to prevent uploading of provocative posts and pictures.