Wednesday, 20 February, 2019

Thai boys lost weight but generally well after cave ordeal

Thai football team rescue celebrated in the Dutch media All 12 Boys Have Been Rescued From Flooded Thai Cave
Deanna Wagner | 12 July, 2018, 12:44

The mission to rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach from a Thai cave is to get the Hollywood treatment in a movie announced by faith-based production house Pure Flix.

"The complexity, scale and risk of the operation was unprecedented", Glen McEwen, Australian Federal Police manager for Asia said at a press conference Wednesday. "No one seems too stressed".

The boys, aged between 11 and 16, and their 25-year-old coach are now being assessed in hospital.

"From our assessment, they are in good condition and not stressed", Thongchai said.

After being brought out of the cave, one by one beginning on Sunday, they were taken by helicopter to hospital in the town of Chiang Rai, about 70 km (45 miles) away, to stay in quarantine.

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

"He really cares for the boys", he added, of a figure who is emerging as something of a hero for shepherding the children through their ordeal.

Four boys rescued on Sunday can eat normal food and walk around, and the four pulled out on Monday are reportedly eating soft food.

Members of the Thai boy's soccer team rescued from a flooded cave wave at cameras in an image made from video released July 11, 2018, by the hospital in Chiang Rai where they were recovering.

Chaiwetch Thanapaisal is director of Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital.

Jones earns 1st career Cup win at Daytona
Jones was involved in one of the many wrecks Saturday night, but his No. 20 Toyota was still in good enough shape to get by Truex. Daytona 500 victor Austin Dillon didn't seem to be much of a factor, but he made it to the end of the night and finished ninth.

None of the first group of four boys to emerge has a fever, and the two boys that had lung infections are improving.

While their parents have been able to visit them, they have been kept separate "through the glass because doctors are concerned". At other times, they endured dives lasting up to half an hour in the pitch-black waters.

The nerve-shredding three-day operation ended on Tuesday when the final members of the "Wild Boars" were freed from the cave which had held them captive since June 23.

"The important thing is. personal space", Prayuth told reporters.

Questions will remain as to why the team, led by their 25-year-old coach, went into the caves during the rainy season - it is common knowledge that it is a risky time to enter, and signs at the entrance specifically warn of the dangers of monsoon rains.

"If you didn't use the water pump in that location, you could only come out with an oxygen tank", ex-SEAL Com Chaiyananta said.

After days of mounting speculation, a former Thai Navy SEAL diver broke the silence, revealing the boys were sleeping or partially-conscious as they were passed from diver-to-diver through the cave.

The rescue process started at 10am local time on Sunday and involved 13 worldwide divers and five Thai navy seals, who were referred to as "an all-star team" by NarongsakOsatanakorn, who is the Governor of Chiang Rai province and head of the joint command centre coordinating the rescue.

"I haven't asked the coach yet why he chose that order", he said.