Tuesday, 18 December, 2018

Man loses both legs after being licked by dog

Manteufel has undergone several surgeries to amputate his legs and arms Manteufel has undergone several surgeries to amputate his legs and arms
Gustavo Carr | 01 August, 2018, 21:55

"Sometimes it decreases so much that the arms and legs just die", said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist at the Medical College of Wisconsin.

In just a few days, the bacteria spread and Manteufel was fighting for his life.

Dawn Manteufel said her husband was perfectly healthy just a month ago and especially loved riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. "Surprisingly enough, they did do it", Dawn Manteufel said.

"It hit him with a vengeance. Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat".

In late June, Manteufel fell ill and within "hours of the onset of symptoms, Greg's body started to go into septic shock".

Doctors said his case is very rare.

He was not bitten by the animal, with medics saying it is rare for a person to fall victim to such an infection when they haven't been bitten.

The response caused his blood pressure to drop and circulation in his limbs to decrease quickly. He had just undergone a surgery to remove dead tissue and muscle from what is left of his lower extremities. Then doctors had to remove his hands.

Manteufel's condition has stabilized, but he has more surgeries ahead of him.

Samsung Electronics profit growth slows as Galaxy S9 misses sales targets
There was weak demand for flexible OLED panels while shipments and prices for LCD panels also declined. According to Samsung, the device is not performing well in the market as its sales margin is low.

Doctors also told Dawn that Greg would need extensive plastic surgery to rebuild his nose. He never had any serious medical problems before.

The infection has been devastating for Manteufel and his family.

Manteufel and wife Dawn. "During this process while his family and friends are in panic and chaos Greg has held his head high and is taking all the news like a beast".

'He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time'.

Blood tests revealed he contracted an infection caused by the bacteria known as Capnocytophaga, which is found in dog saliva.

Several types of Capnocytophaga bacteria, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "live in the mouths of dogs and cats". People over age 40 are more at-risk.

A bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus attacked Greg Manteufel quickly and aggressively.

Doctors believe he most likely contracted the bacteria by a lick from his own dog. Symptoms typically worsen rapidly. His case is particularly unlucky because for the infection to be passed on the dog usually has to bite you.