Thursday, 22 November, 2018

1 dead in Melbourne stabbing; man attacked cops before being shot

1 killed 2 injured as knife-wielding attacker goes on rampage in central Melbourne Twitter meegslouise
Deanna Wagner | 09 November, 2018, 16:11

A man has killed one person and wounded two in a knife rampage in Melbourne that police are treating as a terror attack.

It is not yet clear whether he deliberately set the vehicle on fire but Mr Ashton said the auto had been laden with gas cylinders.

"We are still trying to piece together whether the vehicle was lit then he got out the auto or whether he got out the auto and then the vehicle took flame", Victoria Police Commissioner Graham Ashton told reporters.

Vision from the scene shows a man lunging at police officers with a knife.

The investigation is still in its early stages, but Ashton said police do not believe there is a "ongoing threat".

No police officers were injured in the attack and police have confirmed that they are not pursuing any other individuals in relation to the incident.

Police turn their attention to the victims, one of whom was still lying on the street.

Video posted on Twitter and broadcasted on television showed an officer raise his weapon and then a shot is heard before the attacker falls to the ground clutching his chest.

Ashton said police were "doing security reassessments of these events in light of what's occurred", but there was "no ongoing threat we're now aware of in relation to people surrounding this individual".

Panthers offense explodes against Buccaneers
But as I said, that's part of playing young guys. "They have to understand where their alignment is, what their assignment is". This is the Carolina Panthers team we've been waiting to see since they made their run to the Super Bowl back in 2015.

At a press conference, a police spokesperson said there are no links to terrorism at this stage. He declined to release their names because police were still in the process of contacting families.

Mr Villasin said bystanders were screaming at police to shoot the knifeman.

Asked if the attacker had recently traveled to Syria he said: "That is something we might be able to talk more about tomorrow". Australia has been on heightened alert from 2015 for attacks by home-grown militants returning from fighting in the Middle East.

The attacker, who has not been identified, was originally from Somalia but lived in Melbourne's northwest.

Ashton added that Counter Terrorism Command will investigate alongside Victoria police.

A witness at the scene told Broadsheet: "I just drove out of the city, cops were racing down Elizabeth Street".

"In the midst of tragedy, you can find such pride in the work of by-standers to come to the aid of others", said Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews.

A witness claimed to see a pedestrian struck by the vehicle while another said her friends had seen someone with a knife in the area and she'd been told "he'd stabbed a security guard".

Civilians used an outdoor chair and a shopping trolley in attempts to help police stop a man who allegedly attacked people on Bourke Street, Melbourne, killing one.