Thursday, 09 April, 2020

Tanzanian authorities detain media activists - CPJ

Tanzanian immigration authorities detained CPJ Sub Saharan Africa Representative Muthoki Mumo left and Africa Program Coordinator Angela Quintal in Dar es Salaam on November 7 Tanzanian authorities detain media activists - CPJ
Deanna Wagner | 08 November, 2018, 21:45

There were concerns after it emerged that South African journalist Angela Quintal, Africa programme coordinator for press freedom group the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), and her Kenyan colleague Muthoki Mumo had been detained by authorities on Wednesday evening without explanation.

The South African High Commissioner to Dar es Salaam will meet with the journalists on Thursday to establish whether their passports have been returned to them.

"We continue to engage with our Government of Tanzania counterparts on a wide range of issues, including those related to human rights", read a statement from the State Department adding that it remains committed to values od democracy, rule of law and freedom of expression among others.

However, on Thursday morning, Ndhivo Mabaya, spokesman for South Africa's foreign ministry, told AFP that "they were both released".

The duo were arrested in their hotel room in Dar es Salaam and had their passports confiscated.

Atletico, Tottenham get back to winning ways in respective Champions League matches
In an early Group A fixture, FC Brugge recorded their first win in the competition with a 4-0 thrashing of French side Monaco . Porto are on the brink of qualification from Group D after a 4-1 win at home to Lokomotiv Moscow .

Quintal tweeted before 1am on Tuesday morning that she and her colleague had been released. We don't know why. "Taken Away from Southern Sun Hotel".

Quintal, a former Mail & Guardian editor, and Mumo were detained on Wednesday night by officers reportedly working with the Tanzanian immigration authority. "Details and reasons for the detention are still not clear".

Angela Quintal and Muthoki Mumo were permitted to return to their hotel in Dar es Salaam after being taken to an unknown location and subjected to "several hours of questioning", according to a news release.

This after appealing for help on social media, saying they had been taken for interrogation by the Tanzanian authorities.