Wednesday, 22 May, 2019

Kim Jong Un says he’s open to another summit with Trump

Kim Jong-un NEW TITLE Kim Jong-un has solidified his power
Deanna Wagner | 13 April, 2019, 13:13

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is calling on the U.S. to stop "its current way of calculation" if it is interested in continuing diplomatic talks, according to a report from the country's state news agency KCNA.

"We will wait for a bold decision from the USA with patience till the end of this year but I think it will definitely be hard to get such a good opportunity as the previous summit", Kim added.

Mr Trump claimed North Koreans officials wanted all economic sanctions lifted in their entirety in exchange for disabling a major nuclear site, provoking him to walk away.

At a summit with South Korean president Moon in Washington on Thursday, Trump expressed a willingness to hold a third summit with Kim but said Washington would leave sanctions in place on Pyongyang.

Despite the fact that that the situation on the Korean Peninsula had significantly improved following a series of high-level talks a year ago between North Korea and South Korea, as well as the United States, the country is still subject to global sanctions.

In Hanoi, the United States came "to the talks only racking its brain to find ways that are absolutely impracticable" and did "not really ready itself to sit with us face-to-face and settle the problem", Kim said. But he said his personal relationship with the American president remains good.

The parliament also made a slew of personnel changes on Thursday that bolstered Kim's diplomatic lineup. In their first summit last June in Singapore, Mr. Trump and Mr. Kim issued a vague statement calling for a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula without describing when and how it would occur.

Kim said USA leaders "mistakenly believe that if they pressure us to the maximum, they can subdue us".

Khashoggi family denies Saudi settlement talks
Bin Salman has denied any knowledge of the killing or its botched cover-up, which Riyadh has described as a "rogue operation". The State Department previously revoked the visas of almost two dozen Saudi officials and froze the assets of 17 others.

In Hanoi, the USA came with "completely unrealisable plans" and was "not really ready to sit with us face-to-face and solve the problem", Kim said.

"We are willing to give [it] another try if the U.S. offers to have a third summit with the right attitude and mutually acceptable terms", he said, according to a report by North Korean state media outlet KCNA.

At their first summit past year in Singapore, Trump and Kim signed a vague statement to work toward the "denuclearization of the Korean peninsula".

Kim Yong-chol was considered a controversial choice for point man because he is held responsible for North Korea's attack on the South Korean warship Cheonan in 2010.

Still, North Korea is committed to better North-South relations and peaceful unification, Kim said.

Last month, a senior North Korean official warned that Kim might rethink a moratorium on missile launches and nuclear tests in place since 2017 unless Washington makes concessions such as easing sanctions.

Some experts say that it is becoming clear the North intends to turn the talks with the U.S. into a bilateral arms reduction negotiation between two nuclear states, rather than a unilateral process of surrendering its arsenal. But North Korea for decades has been pushing a concept of denuclearization that bears no resemblance to the American definition, with Pyongyang vowing to pursue nuclear development until the United States removes its troops and the nuclear umbrella defending South Korea and Japan.