Khartoum streets deserted as defiant protesters continue general strike
12 June, 2019, 03:57
In return, the army - which has been in control since long-time President Omar al-Bashir was ousted in April - has agreed to release political prisoners.
The UN said Monday that Sudan's military rulers issued a decree demanding the mission in Darfur hand over its premises as part of its withdrawal plan next year.
On Sunday, the Sudanese Professionals Association, the group that led against protests against former leader Omar al-Bashir, civil disobedience will only end when with the "transfer power to a civil transitional authority in accordance with the Declaration of Freedom and Change (DFC)".
The internet monitoring group NetBlocks said that Sudan's remaining internet connectivity was disconnected late Monday.
Talks broke down after dozens of protesters were killed in a crackdown on a sit-in on 3 June.
He will also discuss the situation with the Ethiopian Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed, who has been trying to mediate between the military council and the opposition in Sudan, before later travelling to Mozambique and South Africa.
The new disruption has downed Sudan Telecom's Sudani service, along with Canar Telecom and Mobiltel Zain.
On Monday, several shops, fuel stations and some branches of private banks were open across Khartoum, an AFP correspondent who toured the capital said.
"The Alliance for Freedom and Change (umbrella protest movement) is fully responsible for recent unfortunate incidents. including blocking roads which is violating global humanitarian laws", Lieutenant General Jamaleddine Omar said on state television late Sunday.
Opposition leaders have put forward a list of demands before they will agree to return to negotiations with the army over the country's political transition.
Also on Tuesday, the Sudan Doctors Central Committee said that RSF forces attacked a market the previous day in the town of Deleig in central Darfur.
A leader in the alliance of Sudanese opposition and protest groups told Reuters on Monday that the opposition plans to nominate eight members to a transitional council to lead the country, as well as a prominent economist to head a government.
A statement from SPLM-N chairman Malik Agar said the three officials had been "denied access to their accommodation" and deported in a military aircraft to Juba, South Sudan's capital.
The state department said Mr Nagy would "urge parties to work towards creating an enabling environment" for talks between the two sides to resume.
But pro-democracy campaigners say the military council can not be trusted after Monday's crackdown against a sit-in demonstration in Khartoum - and they have rejected an offer of talks. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Tibor Nagy was to meet leaders in Sudan just a week after more than 100 people were killed by government backed paramilitary forces.