Monday, 16 September, 2019

At least 100 undigested boba pearls found in girl's stomach

Doctor finds 100 bubble tea pearls in girl’s abdomen reports Enlarge Image Shutterstock Weibo
Deanna Wagner | 12 June, 2019, 22:36

Researchers believe drinking beverages that are too hot can lead to 'thermal injury, ' which, in turn, could increase the chances of developing esophageal cancer later on.

This might burst your affinity for bubble tea.

It is often served with chewy tapioca balls.

A CT scan revealed about 100 "unusual spherical shadows" which doctors realised were undigested tapioca pearls from bubble tea.

AsiaOne, citing Chinese media outlets, reported a 14-year-old girl from Zhejiang Province - located in eastern China just south of Shanghai - complained of having stomach aches and feeling constipated for several days until her parents took her to the hospital.

American Airlines extends Boeing 737 MAX cancellations until September
The 737 Max aircraft have been grounded worldwide since March, following two deadly crashes involving the planes. The extension is meant to give passengers more time to plan upcoming travel, American said.

At first, the girl was reluctant to answer questions about her bubble tea habits.

The teen reportedly told doctors that she drank only one cup of bubble tea five days before the hospital visit, Newsweek reported.

Dr. Zhang Louzhen told The Paper that "so many undigested "pearls" would not have come from just one drink.

Doctors said tapioca starch can be hard to digest and bubble tea shops may put additives into the balls to improve their texture.

The girl was ultimately given laxatives to relieve her symptoms, Asia One reports.