Friday, 20 September, 2019

Xenophobic Attacks: 178 Nigerians arrive from South Africa

Some angry residents attack houses of immigrants in Johannesburg Some angry residents attack houses of immigrants in Johannesburg
Deanna Wagner | 12 September, 2019, 11:27

Zimbabwe's Foreign Minister Sibusiso Moyo told reporters in the capital Harare that the government plans to evacuate 171 people from South Africa, including the bodies of two people.

In total, 640 Nigerians living in South Africa had registered at Nigerian missions to take the flights offered by the airline last week after bands of South Africans launched violent attacks against foreign-owned shops and stalls, looting and burning the small businesses and attacking some of the shopkeepers. The second batch will be leaving on Thursday September 12. The nationalities of those killed have not been announced but Nigerians, Ethiopians, Congolese, and Zimbabweans were attacked, according to local media.

"We agreed that it is better I go back home with the children", says Mbabie.

"Where we are staying is very risky because of xenophobia", she said.

South Africa has faced widespread criticism for its latest outbreak of xenophobia or "Afrophobia" attacks as official responses included Nigeria boycotting the World Economic Forum Africa hosted in Cape Town last week, while Zambia and Madagascar also cancelled planned soccer games with South Africa's national team.

US beaten by France in quarter-finals in China
France capitalised on that and were led by the exceptional Rudy Gobert , as well as Evan Fournier and Frank Ntilikina . In fact, this is the first time that the USA will be leaving a major tournament without a medal since 2002.

He believes that the Nigerian government should have sorted out the repatriation logistics to avoid the chaos of some people being denied access to the flights.

Foreign Affairs Minister Sibusiso Moyo said government now does not have exact figures of Zimbabweans in South Africa and will be concentrating efforts on the 171 who have come forward.

The evacuees, who departed OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, around 4p.m aboard an Air Peace Boeing 777 aircraft, touched down at 9:34pm on Wednesday.

He further appealed to Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm and patient as the federal government is "engaging relevant stakeholders towards finding permanent measures to the unfortunate xenophobic attacks on Nigerians". "I left the business with my brothers".

He said the people he has had conversations with at the Consulate are desperate to leave South Africa.