Wednesday, 03 June, 2020

1 dead, 8 injured after chemical incident at Buffalo Wild Wings

Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington Mass The Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington Mass. is shown in this image from Google Street View
Deanna Wagner | 09 November, 2019, 08:26

He died a short time later.

The incident happened at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Burlington, Massachusetts, on Thursday.

A statement released Thursday by a Buffalo Wild Wings spokesperson said, "We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation". He said it was unclear whether that substance was mixed with another chemical.

Investigators said a worker had applied sodium hypochlorite from the cleaning product Super 8 on the floor, unaware that an acid-based cleaner had been spilled there. "For some reason tonight it was just.a reaction that led to this", he said. "It smelled terrible", Michael Burnstein told WHDH. "Their symptoms included difficulty breathing and burning feelings in the eyes".

Patterson said Burlington Fire Department continues to investigate, however, he added that the restaurant was safe for re-entry as the fumes had cleared into the air.

"Any type of those cleaners that are used in an environment need to be used separately", Goldberg says.

Patterson said he does not know if the chemical had been mixed with something else. The now-deceased general manager was attempting to "squeegee" the product out of the area when he became exposed to the toxic fumes.

Boeing proposes "fewest steps to the moon"
Both will be studied using techniques such as non-destructive 3D imaging, mass spectrometry and ultra-high resolution microtomy . Those missions will lay a foundation for the next leap in space exploration - sending astronauts to Mars .

"That's when he was exposed to it".

"The patients are being treated and monitored", Patterson said. Overcome, the manager also left the building. "We knew the guy was in trouble". Authorities evacuated the restaurant and urged anyone who was inside at the time to get medical treatment, if needed. At least four people were kept in the hospital overnight for observation.

The State Hazardous Materials Team responded and several team members have since entered the restaurant wearing specialized suits.

The employee complained of nausea after breathing in the fumes and stepped outside, according to Patterson.

A total of two customers and eight employees at the restaurant fell ill in addition to the person who died.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Osha) standards require employees to be trained in which chemicals they work with and how to use them safely.