Tuesday, 12 November, 2019

S. Korea-US air exercise to be conducted in reduced scope: Pentagon

North Korean flags on flagpoles in Pyongyang North Korea North Korean flags on flagpoles in Pyongyang North Korea. Getty Images
Deanna Wagner | 09 November, 2019, 16:45

Two North Korean fishermen suspected of killing 16 fellow crew members before fleeing to the South, have been handed back to the North.

The three men initially tried to return to the same North Korean port, but after one of the men was arrested, the two others fled using the same boat and were subsequently detained by the South Korean navy, according to South Korean officials.

When their boat was stopped in South Korea's waters, they mentioned they wished to resettle there - but investigators definite they had been merely trying to preserve up away from arrest.

South Korea's Defense Ministry said adjusted drills will take place in the coming weeks.

Ministry spokesman Lee Sang-min said South Korea chose to expel the two fishermen to North Korea because they were "heinous criminals" who could not be recognized as refugees under worldwide laws. According to the investigation, 19 people were present in the ship when it left the North's Kimchaek port on its east coast in August.

When the 15 diversified crew individuals protested, they had been then additionally killed one after the other, per Korea's Yonhap News Agency.

The three suspects initially returned to the North - but when one of them was captured by local police at a port, the other two chose to flee on their boat to the South.

Vanna White fills in as Pat Sajak has emergency surgery
It did not say how long he is expected to be out, or how long White will serve as host. Disclosure: "Wheel of Fortune" is distributed by CBS Television .

After two days on the run, the pair were captured by the South Korean navy.

South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo and U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper will hold the 51st Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) next Friday at the headquarters of the South Korean defense ministry in Seoul.

"The two defectors should be handled under the South Korean legal system".

The Committee for Human Rights in North Korea (HRNK) also said it was "deeply concerned" about "the first deportation of North Koreans by South Korea since the 1953 Korean War Armistice".

A senior North Korean official said on Wednesday that the announcement was equivalent to a "declaration for confrontation" that could jeopardize the diplomatic process, AFP reports.

Joo Seong-ha, a prominent North Korean defector-turned journalist who lives in Seoul, supports the decision to deport the fishermen.

In recent years, the number of North Koreans coming to the South has slowed. They are interrogated by South Korean authorities and spend time in facilities to learn more about the country, including its education system.