Sunday, 27 September, 2020

Egypt Reports First Case of Coronavirus

Egypt confirms case of coronavirus the first in Africa | Coronavirus outbreak news Allen County Health Dept: No confirmed coronavirus cases in Ohio
Gustavo Carr | 14 February, 2020, 22:13

Reuters has reported that the number of cases of infection with the new coronavirus in China has stabilised, but that apparent slowdown in the epidemic spread should be viewed with "extreme caution", the head of the World Health Organization said on Wednesday.

Ministry of Health and Population spokesman Khaled Megahed stated that his agency has succeeded in discovering the case due to the ministry's contingency and prevention plan, which relies on the electronic registration and monitoring of individuals arriving from coronavirus-stricken countries.

Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that the other members of the global team will arrive in China over the weekend.

Egypt said on Twitter the person was carrying the virus, but had not shown any symptoms and was in a stable condition.

Authorities have notified the World Health Organization and the patient has been placed in isolation in a hospital for treatment and monitoring.

Experts have raised concerns that countries with underdeveloped health systems - as can be found in Africa or Asia -would struggle to contain an outbreak.

Boris Johnson assembles new look Cabinet at Downing Street
Prime Minister Boris Johnson began reshaping his government on Thursday, in hopes of tightening his grip on power. Claire O'Neill, the former president of the so-called COP 26 summit, was sacked last month.

China's ruling Communist Party on Monday confirmed that authorities have carried out tests on 10.59 million people in Wuhan city of Hubei province to identify coronavirus patients. Over 64,000 cases have been diagnosed globally.

"Chinese authorities said about 2% of people with the disease have died although the exact case-fatality ratio is still hard to assess as the denominator [or number of infections] remains unknown".

Almost 64,000 people are now recorded as having fallen ill from the virus in China, with officials revealing that 1,716 health workers had been infected as of Tuesday.

"We are not defenceless", he said.

Health authorities say it can be hard to distinguish between the two illnesses. Some 600 people are now under quarantine.