Thursday, 02 April, 2020

China cuts global flights, bars foreign residents

A member of airport security wearing protective gear monitors passengers on arrival at Shanghai Pudong International Airport China to suspend entry of foreign nationals
Deanna Wagner | 27 March, 2020, 03:10

China has announced that it will ban all foreign nationals from entering its borders in order to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus.

In view of the rapid spread of COVID-19 across the world, China has chose to temporarily suspend the entry into China by foreign nationals holding visas or residence permits still valid to the time of this announcement, effective from 0:00 a.m. on March 28, 2020, a statement jointly released by Chinese Foreign Ministry and the National Immigration Administration said.

Foreign nationals seeking entry to China "for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs" can still apply at its embassies and consulates, the notice said.

Domestic airlines, too, will be restricted to flying to only one country no a few times a week.

After getting its domestic Covid-19 outbreak under control, China's attention has shifted this month to preventing a potential "second wave" of the epidemic from washing over the country via global arrivals at airports.

China registered nearly 3,300 deaths and more than 81,000 infected.

Bad news from Bill Gates for the USA
A new strain of Coronavirus, COVID 19 , is spreading around the world, causing deaths and major disruption to the global economy. He added that the time to act was in January, a few weeks after the viral outbreak began in China last December.

But the government has reported an increasing number of imported cases in recent days.

China has seen a slowdown in local infections, but has continued to report imported infections. The province's capital of Wuhan will end restrictions on travel on April 8.

Effective on Sunday, each Chinese airline will be allowed to fly only one weekly route to one city per country, operating at no more than 75 per cent capacity, according to a statement by the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) earlier on Thursday.

The adjusted flight routes are expected to start running from March 29, it added.

The authority also ordered foreign airlines to reduce their worldwide routes to China to one per week and only operate one route into the country. Previously, Shanghai had not been quarantining people without symptoms arriving from locations deemed to be low risk. Visas issued after this announcement will still be honored, it said.