Sunday, 24 October, 2021

Gov. Whitmer kidnappers charged for 'Weapons of mass destruction'

Militia members intended to blow up bridge as part of kidnap plot against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Prosecutors Militia members intended to blow up bridge as part of kidnap plot against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer: Prosecutors
Ginger Lawrence | 30 April, 2021, 10:10

Three men who face accusations in a failed plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer are now charged with conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction.

Adam Fox, Barry Croft Jr., and Daniel Harris are charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction in relation to the discussion of blowing up a bridge to delay police response.

Adam Fox, 40, Barry Croft, 45, and Daniel Joseph Harris, 23, were on Wednesday hit with charges they knowingly conspired to use WMDs, CNN reports.

Adam Fox (top right), Barry Croft (bottom center) and Daniel Joseph Harris (bottom left) allegedly tried to use devices to blow up a bridge near Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's northern MI home.

Fox and Croft, both members of the Three Percenters militia group, were angry over coronavirus restrictions imposed by Whitmer, and prosecutors said the recruited "like-minded individuals" to their plot to kidnap her in retaltiation.

Australian official Michael Pezzullo warns 'drums of war' are beating with China
Australian home affairs minister Karen Andrews said she had approved of the wording of Pezzullo's message. Beijing considers Taiwan a renegade province of China and wants to unite it with the mainland.

The indictment also said that on September 12, 2020, Fox and Croft stopped to inspect the underside of a highway bridge for a place to mount an explosive charge.

The new indictment also accuses Croft and Harris of possessing an unregistered "destructive device" while Harris possessed an unregistered semiautomatic assault rifle.

That same day, Fox ordered $4,000 worth of explosives from an undercover Federal Bureau of Investigation agent, whom Fox, Harris, Frank and Garbin met in Ypsilanti, Mich., on October 7 to put down a payment toward the explosives and other supplies, according to the indictment.

The 24-year-old Garbin, of Hartland Township, previously entered a guilty plea to a federal kidnapping conspiracy charge in the case and is expected to testify against his co-conspirators.

Fox, Croft and Harris face life in prison for the new charge of conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction while Croft and Harris each face up to 10 years for the unregistered weapons charge. Each of the men faces up to life in prison if convicted of the top count.