Tuesday, 28 September, 2021

Denmark's Christian Eriksen collapses, Euro 2020 game with Finland suspended

Denmark's Christian Eriksen collapses, given CPR on field during Euro 2020 match vs. Finland Euro 2020 match suspended due to medical emergency
Deanna Wagner | 13 June, 2021, 00:58

After the pitch emptied, a video board in the stadium relayed updates on Eriksen's condition, and on the match's status, to fans.

Eriksen received messages of support from figures across the football world, including former Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba who suffered a cardiac arrest during a FA Cup match against Tottenham in 2011, who tweeted: "Please God".

The Danish Football Association announced on Twitter that Eriksen was awake and awaiting further examination.

UEFA suspended the Euro 2021 Group B match between Denmark and Finland after a medical emergency involving Denmark's Christian Eriksen. The Danish soccer federation says Eriksen is awake.

UEFA, the European soccer governing body, said the decision to restart the game had been made by players.

After around 15 minutes, Eriksen was stretchered off the field followed by the rest of his teammates, while Finland's players also left the pitch.

Denmark players, clearly in a huge amount of distress, formed a barrier around the player as medics continued to work on Eriksen.

Meghan and Prince Harry welcome second child
Despite being seventh-in-line to the British throne, the Sussex's firstborn, two-year-old Archie, does not have a title. As a child, Queen Elizabeth II couldn't pronounce her name, Elizabeth, so she was known as Lilibet .

UEFA said both teams had held an emergency meeting before deciding to continue playing.

Eriksen had just played a short pass when he fell face-forward onto the ground.

UEFA says both teams have chose to complete the game even though Christian Eriksen was taken to a hospital after collapsing on the field near the end of the first half.

Christian Eriksen (2R) applauds with teammates before the match.

The Finland players huddled by their bench and eventually walked off the field while Eriksen was still getting treatment, as did the referees. Halftime was shortened to five minutes before play resumed again, as did Denmark's dominance of the match.

During the delay, fans of both teams chanted Eriksen's name.